Monday, February 8, 2010

In Chinese

Last Saturday after rugby practice I took the metro home and then had to catch a cab home. It was raining which means it is very difficult to get a cab in Shanghai. I have waited up to an hour for a cab in the rain before...not fun. I got out onto the street and a motorbike taxi stops. I said no because I do not like taking them do to the craziness of driving around here. He had a helmet and a poncho and I did not see a free cab and the line up on the street was long. Plus I was rather cold from getting rained on during practice. I thought that we agreed on a price for the trip. I said "Ba" and did the hand signal for 8 and then we were off.
At first I was amazed that I took one, another day of firsts. The ride home I was thinking over all the things that I have grown accustomed to since living in Shanghai, what is normal and things that I feel comfortable doing: Eating street food, crossing the crazy streets, riding in cars that drive against traffic and not motorbike taxis.... The motorbike-taxi was a safe driver and sang along to the sound of the engine.
I was able to direct him to my building. I got off and was going to give him 8 RMB (about 1.20 USD) and he started asking for 30 RMB. That I knew was a ripe off, a taxi would have cost about 17rmb in traffic... so I said no and we started arguing. I spoke English, now and again throwing in a "Taiguole" meaning too expensive. He just went off in Chinese and I started walking away. I said I would give 13. One of the guards that I greet saw that I was in an argument and came over to help. I am not sure what was said. I ended up paying 15 rmb, which still upset me. As the guy drove away I said "boooo" to him. I figured he could understand that much. After the motorbike taxi was away, the guard proceeded to give me advice and a small lecture. It was all in Chinese, but I think he was telling me how easy it is for them to charge more and what I need to be aware of. I thanked him and gave a few "You are right" looks and nods.
Amazing how much you really can communicate without completely understanding. Tomorrow I have my Chinese lessons, I think I will start out with, "I will only pay_____".

No comments:

Post a Comment