Saturday, May 8, 2010

And then there was Expo taxi


And then there was Expo-taxi.

Shanghai has a slogan around town “Better City, Better Life” in advertising for the world Expo that started last week (though only 80% of it all was finished). Since I arrived the city has been under a massive amount of construction for the roads, buildings and what seems like endless remodeling of stores. Things go up really fast here and it has been amazing to see. Out of all aspects of this facelift for Shanghai, my personal favorite by far is the Expo-taxi. Now it might seem normal to those in the West, but after months of smelly, run down, seatbelt-less taxis, the expo taxi is so refreshing and luxurious.
Here are the features of the Expo taxi:
1. Seat belts in the front and back
2. No white cloth on the seats (like all other taxi’s have here),
3. New car smell and not like cigarettes or weird foul smells,
4. Happy drivers (because they are driving Expo-taxi),
5. CLEAN
6. The doors are functional and one does not worry if you will break down.
The old taxis are still crawling the streets and you will see the expo-taxi sprinkled throughout all parts of town. When they first were sited about a month ago, I felt that every time I saw one empty I needed to hail it and just go for a ride down the block. Now when I need a cab, I will wait until a free expo-taxi appears. Today on my way home from the gym, I got a cab but before I opened the door, an unoccupied Expo-taxi came into my line of site and I ran for it.
I know I am not alone in this, as I was making my way home today in a fabulous Expo taxi, I saw a family about to get into a regular cab stop and stare with taxi envy as my Expo Taxi drove safely by. Yes “Better city. Better Life” Thank you Expo Taxi.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda -
    This is Brandon from Arizona. Your mom and dad's next door neighbor. We're leaving on this Sunday, June 6th to come to China for the World Expo. According to my schedule, Dobson High Band will be performing on Thursday, June 10th at 7:30pm. My itinerary says "shared concert in Shanghai in celebration of the 2010 World Expo". The band director is saying that we perform at the US Pavillion. Have another meeting today, so maybe I can find out more if we perform any other days before we leave from Shanghai. We then go to Xi'an to perform and then finish at Beijing for performances. Please email me back if you can. bdawge@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete