Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sporting events



I went to visit my parents in Seattle for a long weekend and see my brother’s band, The

Whisperlights, play one night. Before I arrived my friend Jen suggested that we go see the Roller Derby double header. I was definitely game as I had not seen a game yet and was super curious of the sport. I envisioned a bunch of angry women 30 somethings bashing into each other and yelling. This was not necessarily the case. We went to Key Arena and had a suite with some other people, a classy way to see the derby. When the players were introduced I knew that I found my new sport or spectator sport. The names are edgy clever plays on words and some alteration. I LOVE the names, the costumes and the creativity of the girls. The Rat City Girls were playing: Teams Grave Danger v. Throttle Rockets and Derby Liberation Front v. Sockit Wenches.

When being introduced the players’ sassy head shots were shown on the jumbo tron of each player. Some of my favorite names are:

From the Sockit Wenches

#17 Ima Handful

Grave Danger

#17 Muffstache

#12 Gauge: Carmen Getsome

DLF

Ann R. Kissed

# 20: Yoko Onoudi’nt,

Throttle Rockets

# 5 Eva Dead

The atmosphere was fantastic and the girls were giving other teams awards in the end and created a really positive environment. There were a lot of teenage girls celebrating their birthdays and I am sure figuring out what their roller derby name would be. Between the two matches there was a trapeze act that came on with only a small mat to catch them if they were to fall, making it more of a circus atmosphere.

When I got back to NYC I looked into the roller derby and saw that the Gotham Girls were going to play against Boston while some friends were visiting me. The teams were not as evenly matched… but still the environment was great. We saw families supporting their daughters, and friends there. I was amazed to see a grandma hike it up the stairs of a small college basketball court (the size of a High School gym) just to see her I am suspecting granddaughter play. The names were great and so were the costumes make up and of course the Jeer Leaders.

I got information on joining… possibly I will have to take classes in how to skate when I head back to NYC and become # 3.14 Risqué Roller.

No comments:

Post a Comment